In recent years, many companies have become aware that their shareholders have received unsolicited phone calls or correspondence concerning investment matters.
These are typically from overseas based ‘brokers’ who target UK shareholders, offering to sell them what often turn out to be worthless or high risk shares in US or UK investments. These operations are commonly known as ‘boiler rooms’. These ‘brokers’ can be very persistent and extremely persuasive and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) has reported that the average amount lost by investors is around £20,000, with as much as £200m being lost in the UK each year.
It is not just the novice investor that has been duped in this way; many of the victims had been successfully investing for several years. Shareholders are advised to be very wary of any unsolicited advice, offers to buy shares at a discount or offers of free company reports.
If you receive any unsolicited investment advice:
- Make sure you get the correct name of the person and organisation.
- Check that they are properly authorised by the FCA before getting involved by visiting the FCA website to register and contacting the firm using the details on the register.
- Report the matter to the FCA either by calling 0800 111 6768 or visiting the FCA website.
- If the calls persist, hang up.
- If you deal with an unauthorised firm, you will not be eligible to receive payment under the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. The FCA can be contacted by completing an online form at the FCA website.
Details of any share dealing facilities that the company endorses will be included in company mailings. More detailed information on this or similar activity can be found on the FCA's Consumer Information section at the FCA.
Never miss an update from Mereo. Sign up for and select the type of alerts you would like to receive by email.Register for Email Alerts
Share Price Information
Mereo is a specialty biopharma company developing innovative medicines for patients. Find out about our share price and latest trades.View Share Price